General University Hospital in Prague, First Medical Faculty of the Charles University
Fetal medicine center is an Fetal Medicine Foundation (London) collaborationg postgraduate training centre diagnosting and treating over 5000 pregnancies each year.The centre has expertise in full range of fetal medicine procedures.
The main areas of scientific interest of the Centre feature:
- first trimester screening of pregnancy complications
- fetal malformation expert evaluation
- invasive procedures (chorion villi sampling, amniocentesis, cordocentesis)
- fetal echocardiography
- genetic counseling
- pathologic pregnancies surveilance (IUGR, rhesus incompatibility, infertility)
- non-invasive prenatal testing
The centre hosts internship and study visits from local as well as foreign physicians in the field of fetomaternal medicine, ultrasound and genetic diagnostics. Having complied with all the administrative requirements the visitor may assist at ultrasound examinations, participate in invasive procedures, in daily consultations, in expert morphologic ultrasound examinations, and fetal echocardiography. Only one foreign visitor is accepted at any one time, so as to maximize the learning benefit.
Physicians in the program should be either qualified obstetricians or at least second year fellows in fetomaternal medicine. The recommended period of internship ranges from 4 to 6 weeks, usually not exceeding the latter with respect to the high numbers of applicants.
If you are interested in an internship please follow the instructions below:
1) Letter of interest + CV. Please send your letter of interest to our assistant Mrs Kupcová – email@example.com , listing your experience in obstetrics and fetomaternal medicine and attaching your CV. Your name will be entered on a waiting list and you will be notified of dates available for internship (be aware that terms tend to be booked several months in advance). Once agreed, the date of internship should be considered binding (as no other visitor may be accepted for the same period of time).
2) Questionnaire. Once the date of internship has been agreed please refer to the website of the Department of Education at the General University Hospital in Prague http://www.vfn.cz/odbornici/odbor-vzdelavani/staze-internship/internship/, complete the requisite questionnaire and send it to the hospital administration: firstname.lastname@example.org .
3) Accommodation. The Department of Education can arrange accommodation for you in the hospital dormitory (see prices below). The dormitory is conveniently located within 5 minutes walking distance of our department. There are a number of hotels close to our department – please make your own arrangements if you prefer hotel accommodation – see the list of hotels below.
Hospital dormitory accommodation prices:
Hospital dormitory DAK
Ke Karlovu 2, Prague 2
1 – 10 days 515 CZK / day
10 – 19 days 365 CZK / day
20 and more 215 CZK / day
Hotels in the vicinity of our department:
4) Contract. On the day of arrival, the intern signs a Professional Practical Training Contract with the hospital (see copy).
5) Visitor fee. The visitor is obliged pay a visitor fee to the hospital (30 – 60 EUR / day – depending on the duration and type of visit). The fee is payable on the day of commencement of internship.
6) Arrival. On the first day of internship the visitor should report to the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Unit G1 – ground floor, at 7.30 a.m. please see our assistant Mrs Kupcova.
For any queries please contact our assistant Mrs Kupcová ( email@example.com ).
Looking forward to having you at the department,
Pavel Calda M.D., PhD, Professor
Chair, Fetal Medicine Center
General University Hospital in Prague
First Medical Faculty of the Charles University